- Jobs in Canada
- Toronto, ON•Hybrid remote
Individually we are people, but together we are Aviva. Individually these are just words, but together they are our Values – Care, Commitment, Community, and Confidence.
Our Global Corporate & Specialty (GCS) business unit has an exciting new opportunity! We are seeking an AVP Programs & Portfolio Solutions (Healthcare & Life Sciences), GCS. This is an outstanding opportunity to shape strategy for the healthcare & life sciences segment within the Programs & Portfolios commercial business and deliver on the sector’s strategic development roadmap. You will be responsible for the development and implementation of the underwriting strategy for your segment of business for GCS and ensure the technical and professional expertise in the underwriting performance. You will provide leadership to train, and mentor a team of underwriters to achieve excellence within the Programs & Portfolios team with a specific focus on healthcare & life science market place. You will provide guidance and expertise to the broader Commercial Insurance business and will be responsible for a range of large, complex, specialty business, programs & portfolios and projects. You will execute your strategy retaining, building and managing relationships with top distribution partners, clients and buying groups that will require a multi-dimensional and innovative tactical approach.
What You’ll Do:
- Create and communicate, internally and externally, the long-term strategy for healthcare to take advantage of external opportunities in highly creative and effective ways.
- Lead and execute complex initiatives to grow book of business and achieve profitability.
- Manage the P&L including establishing and executing the GCS strategy.
- Participate/lead in the development and presentation of business proposals to prospective customers.
- Monitor and analyze performance of the business and develop underwriting action plans to address team results, including strong analysis of what is driving results.
- Manage the commercial team to ensure the underwriting quality of the book, service standards (referrals), and priorities (inspection assignments, etc.) are aligned with GCS objectives.
- Be the key contact as the relationship builder for existing contacts, and to build/grow new and existing business.
- Develop new products, segments and distribution channels to support strategy.
- Provide expert counsel and partnership to key internal/external stakeholders.
- You have a significant influence over the customer culture of the company through your behavior and values.
- You will articulate what customer culture means for the company and how this translates into your function.
- You will ensure that fair treatment of customers is defined and embedded into all activities of the function.
- As part of any decision-making process or strategic change, you must consider customer interests and ensure that decisions made result in fair customer outcomes and fair treatment of customers.
- You will ensure you regularly communicate simple and clear guidance on your expectations on how customers should be treated and the behavior to support this.
- Ensuring effective and embedded risk management is a key responsibility for all senior managers within Aviva. As part of this and within your area of delegated authority you are responsible for:
- Ensuring that there is an appropriate culture in place and in line with the requirements.
- Understand and champion the Group’s Risk Management Framework, including all Risk Policies and linked Business Standards; reporting, escalation and governance processes (including all legal and regulatory requirements)
- Maintaining effective and efficient risk management and internal control systems, in line with agreed risk appetite. Where vital advising action plans to resolve ineffective controls and bring associated risks within appetite including outsourced arrangements, in a timely manner.
- Identify, own and manage any specific key risks and/or key controls that you are identified as the owner for on iCARE. Maintain appropriate records and ensure that controls are sufficiently well crafted and operating effectively to keep the risks that they mitigate within Aviva’s tolerance level. Report and call out the status of the relevant risks and controls as appropriate.
- Report on Loss Events identified in, or by, your area of responsibility to the Risk Management Team in a timely manner; Investigate Loss Events in your area and ensure appropriate remediation is carried out to prevent recurrence.
- Consider key risks and risk appetite during decision making and planning to ensure changes do not expose the business to unacceptable levels of risk.
What You’ll Bring:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience.
- CIP designation or equivalent
- 10+ years’ experience in commercial segments, with a specialty experience in healthcare exposures
- Commercial Programs & Portfolio management and underwriting experience
- Large, individual account commercial insurance experience is an asset.
- Built credibility as an industry and market segment specialist among peers, broker partners, corporate customers and industry associations.
- Extensive strategic and change delivery experience; ability to bring strategy to life
- Strong communication skills with an ability to translate sophisticated healthcare-specific and technical insurance issues; adapting to all levels and audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to be a visionary and influence selling Aviva to prospects, in addition to advancing strategies and concepts for commercial underwriting and portfolio management.
- The ability to recruit, develop and retain an outstanding team of professionals.
- The ability to generate energy in others and to encourage teams to achieve business goals.
- A high degree of humility, integrity, and personal pride in doing what is right.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work closely with and support other senior executives in the development and implementation of creative and strategic ideas.
- Ability to identify key priorities and problems, acquire relevant information, identify root causes and generate alternative solutions to reach sound management decisions.
- The clear ability to fit into the Aviva team and to work effectively with other executives in the development of all strategic and operational plans, activities and initiatives.
- Versatility in thought process and the ability to apply critical thinking skills to identify key levers and priorities for large amounts of information.
- Possesses the ability to balance quantitative analysis with competitor behaviors within the marketplace.
What You’ll Get:
- Compelling rewards package including base compensation, eligibility for annual bonus, retirement savings, share plan, health benefits, personal wellness, and volunteer opportunities.
- Outstanding Career Development opportunities.
- We’ll support your professional development education.
- Competitive vacation package with the option to purchase 5 extra days off per year
- Employee driven programs focused on gender, LGBTQ+, origins, diversity and inclusion
- Corporate wellness programs to support our employees’ physical and mental health
- Hybrid flexible work model
Additional Information: Aviva Canada has an accommodation process in place to provide accommodations for employees with disabilities. If upon commencement of employment you require a specific accommodation because of a disability, please contact the Talent Acquisition Partner so that an appropriate accommodation can be arranged. This process applies throughout your career with Aviva Canada.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.