Website City of Quesnel
|Qualification||Grade 12 Education|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 32 Per Hour|
The Facilities Maintenance department requires a Casual Facilities Maintenance Worker II to conduct a variety of semi-skilled and unskilled tasks at the facilities operated or managed by the City of Quesnel, including custodial care, building repairs and maintenance, equipment repairs and maintenance.
Ancillary responsibilities relate to record keeping, work projects, health and safety, and other duties as assigned. Under the general direction of the Facilities Manager, and/or Facilities Foreman will also receive supervision from a Facilities Maintenance Worker III and must be able to work alone.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Records and maintains records and logbooks, work and user hours, and statistics as required.
- Ice Maintenance and plant
o Assists with the installation and maintenance of the ice surface using resurfacing, edging, and flooding techniques
o Records plant readings
o Under the direction of the Supervisor, assists with routine inspection and maintenance procedures
- Building Maintenance
o Performs minor building and preventative maintenance and other unskilled and semi-skilled work
o Performs routine building inspections and refers defects to the supervisor
- Equipment Maintenance and Repairs
o Inspects and maintains assigned equipment and tools for proper operating
o Completes minor operational maintenance on assigned equipment
- Other Duties
o Sweeps, vacuums, mops, dust, shampoos, steam cleans, pressure washes, strips, waxes, polishes and buffs floors, carpets, furniture, etc. in and surrounding the facilities.
o Cleans and empties ash cans and garbage receptacles and any litter from in and around the buildings and grounds
o Washes cleans and sanitizes, washrooms and dressing rooms, replenishes supplies, cleans spills, drinking fountains, mirrors, tables chairs, walls, fixtures, blinds, light fixtures, windows, walls, metal and woodwork rain gutters, clear exits, roofs, sidewalks, etc.
o Picks up and delivers tables and chairs as required to the facilities.
o Reports immediately, to the supervisor, all accidents or injuries and incidents and completes the required reports.
o Has sound knowledge and understanding of all facility’s emergency procedures and activates emergency procedures as required.
o Detects and reports any hazardous conditions, practices, and behaviors in the workplace
o Practices and maintains skills and knowledge necessary in proper and safe techniques of facility operation and maintenance.
o Complies with the City’s safety program to ensure that WCB and other legislative requirements are met.
o Opens, closes, locks, and unlocks facilities as required.
o Answers routine questions from the public and performs public customer service skills and supervisory duties as required.
o Collects user fees, provides customer service to patrons, and directs questions to appropriate staff, as required, on a limited basis.
o Provides professional and courteous customer service, maintains the necessary discipline required to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for all participants ensuring all regulations are followed.
o Liaises and collaborates with all City employees to achieve and meet the City’s goals and objectives, and is a team player.
o Complies with approved departmental policies and procedures.
o Ensures the security and care of tools, vehicles, and other City-owned property and equipment, as well as all tools and equipment, are maintained in an acceptable state of repair and are safe for use.
o Assists other persons in performing related duties where work requires more than one person.
o Participates in training opportunities to continue to develop thorough theoretical and practical knowledge of custodial procedures, building/equipment repairs, and maintenance, and recreation facility mechanical plant operations
o All other related duties, as assigned.
Required Qualifications, Licenses, Certificates, and registrations
- Grade 12 Education
- At minimum Refrigeration Safety Awareness certification
- WHMIS 2015 certification
- WCB First Aid Level I
- Valid BC Driver’s License, minimum class 5
- Minimum one (1) years’ experience in the maintenance/custodial field (preferred)
- Must comply with all aspects of the Criminal Records Review Act.
- Must be in Compliance with the City’s Mandatory Vaccination Policy
Required Knowledge, Ability, and Experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well with all age groups ranging from preschoolers to seniors
- Knowledge of programs offered by the department
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in the interpretation and application of related regulations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to present a neat appearance and to deal tactfully and effectively with the public
- Uses tact and diplomacy when dealing with members of the public and when enforcing facility rules
- Ability to work independently, complete daily activities according to work schedules, and adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions in English
- Through knowledge and experience with custodial procedures
- Works flexible and varied hours, which involve evenings and weekends, as may be necessary to meet the requirements of the position
- Frequent exposure to garbage, found odors, blood, and bodily fluids, noise from patrons and equipment and humidity and cold temperature facility
- Must use caution while working with and around dangerous equipment
- A physically capable job involves mostly physical work, such as shoveling, lifting, and carrying heavy and medium weight material and cleaning
- I May have to deal with the occasional irate patron