Website University of Wollongong in Dubai
Established in 1951 and ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide*, Australia’s University of Wollongong is a global brand with international campuses in Dubai, Hong Kong and Malaysia.
University of Wollongong Dubai (UOWD) offers over 40 internationally recognised bachelor and master degrees spanning 10 in-demand industry sectors. All of our degree courses are accredited by the UAE Ministry of Education’s Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) and licensed by Dubai’s Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA), as well as being recognised by leading professional organisations such as AACSB, ACCA, ACS, CIM, CIPD, CPA, Engineers Australia, PMI, and others.
The first internationally accredited Australian university in the UAE, we are the education gateway of choice for over 3,500 students, representing 100+ nationalities. Our global community of 152,000 alumni are pursuing career goals with respected blue-chip companies and industry giants such as 3M, ADCB, Adidas, Amazon, Deloitte, Emirates, FedEx, GE, IBM, Microsoft and Pepsico. Additionally, research reveals that 83%** of fresh graduates are employed within six months of graduation.
Life at UOWD is rooted in the continued pursuit of excellence through teaching, research and industry engagement, with the student experience at its heart. Our 200,000-square-foot campus at Dubai Knowledge Park features access to cutting-edge technologies and a mix of traditional and innovative learning spaces, all housed in a vibrant modern setting that promises to deliver an enriched learning experience for our students.
- QS World University Rankings 2023
**Data from the Graduate Destination Survey 2017 to 2020 About the Department
At University of Wollongong in Dubai, our Finance Department plays a pivotal role in the success and growth of our organisation. As the financial backbone of our university, this department is responsible for managing our fiscal health, ensuring compliance with financial regulations, and providing strategic insights that drive sound business decisions.
Our team operates with agility and collaboration at the core, swiftly enhancing financial processes, optimising resource allocation, and offering data-driven recommendations that empower our company to successfully meet its strategic objectives.
As a valued member of our finance team, you’ll thrive in a dynamic, high-paced, and forward-thinking environment. You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with local professionals and engage with our international offices, fostering a global perspective. Your contributions within this department will wield a direct influence on our company’s financial stability and propel us along our growth trajectory.
Whether you are an experienced finance professional or an aspiring financial analyst, this role offers a unique chance to further your career, enhance your financial expertise, and contribute to a company that values innovation, integrity, and excellence.
Requirements & Responsibilities
As a Financial Accountant you will be a key player in our financial strategy. Your role will involve not only maintaining accurate financial records but also providing crucial insights to support decision-making. If you’re a skilled accountant with a strategic mindset, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
- Responsible for the preparation of the financial statements for UOWD in compliance with the relevant regulations.
- Responsible for all general ledgers including balance sheet reconciliations and technical review of postings. Sign off journals including checking coding for period / year end accuracy.
- Budgeting and Forecasting: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop annual budgets and financial forecasts. Monitor actual performance against budgets, investigating and explaining variances.
- Variance Analysis: Perform in-depth variance analysis to identify discrepancies between budgeted and actual financial results. Provide insights into the causes of variances and recommend corrective actions.
- Management Reporting: Create management reports that provide key financial metrics and insights. These reports assist senior management in making informed strategic decisions and setting financial goals.
- Financial Modeling: Develop and maintain financial models to support decision-making processes. These models may include scenarios for new investments, pricing strategies, or cost reduction initiatives.
- Month-end and Year-end Close: Complete the month-end and year-end closing processes, ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting. Reconcile accounts and make necessary adjustments as required.
- Financial Compliance: Ensure compliance with accounting standards, tax regulations, and other financial reporting requirements. Stay up to date with changes in financial regulations that may impact the company.
- Process Improvement: Continuously identify opportunities to streamline financial processes and improve efficiency. Implement process improvements to enhance the accuracy and timeliness of financial reporting.
- Support Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Treasury Functions: During peak seasons or when team members are on leave. This includes processing invoices, managing vendor and customer accounts, monitoring cash flow, and ensuring timely and accurate financial transactions.
- VAT Filing: Proficiency in VAT regulations and experience in accurately filing VAT returns. Knowledge of VAT compliance requirements specific to our industry and region is a plus.
- IFRS Knowledge: Familiarity with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and the ability to apply them to financial reporting. Experience in preparing financial statements in accordance with IFRS is highly desirable.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting.
- 5+years proven experience in management accounting or related roles.
- Strong knowledge of financial principles and practices.
- Proficiency in financial software (oracle fusion is desirable)
- Advanced Excel skill is mandatory.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Effective communication and presentation skills.
- CPA or CMA certification is preferred but not required.
To apply for this job please visit ae.indeed.com.