Meat cutting Worker
Website Defense Commissary Agency
Position responsibilities include:
- Assist journeyman meat cutters by performing the simpler tasks when processing beef, pork, veal, and lamb into retail and ready to eat cuts for sale to patrons.
- Tray, wrap, weigh, and price cuts using automatic or manual wrapping machines.
- Ensure correct prices by referencing price lists.
- Replenish stock in display cases and rotates product to ensure wholesomeness.
- Use, clean, maintain, and sharpens a variety of hand tools and power equipment.
- Clean and sanitize work area to maintain required standards of cleanliness and sanitation.
Read the entire announcement before starting the application process.
Conditions Of Employment
- Be a U.S. citizen or national. Applicants with a Permanent Resident Card are authorized to live and work in the U.S. but are not eligible for employment in positions requiring U.S. citizenship. If selected, proof of citizenship is required.
- Meet minimum age requirement. See the Additional Information section for more information.
- Males born after 12-31-1959 must be registered with or exempt from Selective Service.
- Appointment is subject to successful verification of identity and employment eligibility through E-Verify. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, at https://www.e-verify.gov/.
- Appointment is subject to a favorable suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation. New federal employees will be fingerprinted.
- Be able to obtain and maintain clearance eligibility based on the appropriate background investigation.
- May be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- Have salary paid through direct deposit.
- Meet the physical requirements identified in the Qualifications section.
- Working in the retail meat department traying, wrapping and weighing meat for sale to patrons. Cutting, trimming and boning meat. Using hand tools and operating powered meat cutting equipment.
You will receive credit for all relevant qualifying experience (paid and unpaid), including volunteer work done through National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social).
(1) Works is areas where the temperature ranges from minus 10 degrees to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. (2) Walks and stands continuously while working. Frequently lifts, pushes, and pulls pieces and bulk boxes of meatweighing 50 to 100 pounds. Hand trucks and dollies are available and used to move heavy items. You will attest to your ability to perform these physical requirements in the Questionnaire.
As part of the online application process, you will respond to a series of questions designed to evaluate what you can do against what the work requires (job element method). This job has one critical element, called the screen-out element (SOE). The SOE addresses the critical knowledge, skill, and abilities essential to satisfactory job performance. Applicants who clearly fail to meet the lowest acceptable requirement in the SOE are rated ineligible and receive no further consideration. The job elements for this job are:
- Dexterity and Safety
- Hand Tool Use and Maintenance
- Interpret instructions, specifications, etc.
- Power Tool Use and Maintenance
- Screen-Out Element (SOE)
- Technical Practices
- Work Practices
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non Exempt
Bargaining Unit Status: Covered
Obligated Position: No
Reemployed Annuitants Considered: No, DoD criteria not met.
Work environment: Works in an area where the temperature does not exceed 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Majority of work is performed in areas which are well lighted and ventilated. Occasionally exposed to temperatures as low as minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit when transferring items to and from freezer rooms. Cold weather clothing, protective equipment, and special clothes (metal mesh apron, gloves, safety shoes, etc.) are provided. Subject to cuts and injuries from knives and power equipment and danger of falling on wet, slippery floors. Subject to injury from lifting heavy objects. May occasionally work outdoors in receiving meat products.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentives Offered: No
Telework eligible: No
Remote work eligible: No
You may not use education to qualify for this position.
- Upon first appointment to a civilian position in the Federal government, you are entitled only to the lowest step (Step 1) of the grade for which selected. The display of a salary range on this announcement does not suggest or convey an entitlement to a higher rate of pay.
- The minimum age requirement is generally 18 years. Employing those under 18 may be possible under certain circumstances. If under 18 years of age, ensure you provide documentation showing how you are eligible.
- Applicants with financial difficulty are not automatically removed from consideration.
- Selectees are required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Retired military service members appointed to a Department of Defense (DoD) civilian position within 180 days of their retirement date require a waiver before starting work. 5 United States Code 3326
The following may result in a rating of ineligible. Ineligible applicants receive no consideration.
- Submitting an incomplete application package, such as missing documents, illegible documents, and/or missing information necessary to determine qualifications and eligibility. A resume reflecting part-time (PT)/full-time (FT) or nothing rather than the number of hours worked per week (e.g., 40, 30, 20, etc.) is incomplete.
- Submitting encrypted documents or uploading Adobe portfolio documents.
- Submitting any document that contains a photo or image of you.
- Including social media links, inappropriate material or content, classified or government sensitive information, or personal information such as age, gender, race, religion, or social security number on your resume.
- Overstating your qualifications and/or experience in your application materials or questionnaire responses.
- Deliberately attempting to falsify your application information, such as copying portions of this announcement into your resume.
Should you receive a tentative job offer, be aware such offers are automatically withdrawn if you fail to (1) record an acceptance or declination by the response date provided in the offer notice and/or (2) meet any pre-employment requirements, including a scheduled appointment. If you receive a job offer, use a computer to submit your response rather than a mobile/cell phone.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
HR reviews your documents to determine if you are qualified and meet requirements and job elements. Your questionnaire score is a preliminary measure of how well your background matches the required job elements. If you submit multiple resumes, the last one received is used for this evaluation and sent to the hiring manager if you are referred for selection consideration.
Under category rating procedures you are placed into one of three categories based on the evaluation results:
Candidates in the best qualified category are referred to hiring managers before candidates in other categories. Within the best qualified category, candidates are referred in the following order: adjudicated veterans’ preference candidates with 10-point preference, adjudicated veterans’ preference candidates with other than 10-point preference, military spouse preference candidates, and candidates with no preference.
HR refers qualified and appointable applicants to the hiring manager for selection consideration. Selections are subject to restrictions of the DoD referral system for displaced employees.
Neither preference nor priority entitles you to a Federal job. You must apply, meet the qualification standards and all additional requirements, and submit all necessary documents. Military spouses must be in the best qualified group in order to receive military spouse preference.
To apply for this job please visit www.certfee.com.